Tips to Make Your Thanksgiving Healthy and Fit
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and we are all preparing for a very special family gathering that happens only once a year. The family gathers for a very special feast which consists of delicious meals fit for a king. But even this joyous holiday also has risks involved, especially to the health of our senior loved ones and therefore should be treated with caution. Make sure that your feast this Thanksgiving will make your guest remain healthy and fit.
Some facts and risks factors
Thanksgiving can be equally risky and joyous. Some unwanted risks further stress the need to be wary during Thanksgiving:
-Thanksgiving is the most popular holiday for travel in the country; more people on the roads, in a rush to reach their destinations, inevitably leads to a higher number of accidents.
– Due to a volume of guests coming to households, accidents such as slips and falls are higher during this time.
The health of your guests is important
Consider the health of your guests, especially if you have older visitors who are already in their retirement phase. Think about the food that they should avoid or might trigger a healthcare risk. Know that healthcare is one of the biggest expenses retirees might face during their golden years and you don’t want that to happen after giving thanks.
Ensure that your older loved ones have health coverage in place. If they are already a Medicare beneficiary, inquire if it has been updated or if they have Medicare supplement plans to cover the coverage gaps of Medicare. It pays to be prepared and ready for an inevitable situation that might happen during the fun-filled holiday. Also, it lessens the worry of other loved ones or guests in the celebration. Relatively, it is also important for those retirees who travel to make the most out of their vacation.
Due to the above risks, preparing for Thanksgiving now seemed to be a daunting task. But by taking time to prepare ahead, it can of course still be perfect.
Here are some ways you can do to prepare prior to the Thanksgiving celebration:
1. In traveling, avoid driving recklessly. A lot of driving accidents are happening during holidays; you may want to keep your passengers safe all throughout.
- Keep your house, especially bathrooms slip free. Remove any potential hazards in your home and warn your guests to slippery parts of your house.
- Serve healthy meals. For some, Thanksgiving is a time to indulge in delicious foods, but foods they would divulge can still be healthy and guilt free. Try fat-free chicken broth to baste the turkey, reduce oil and butter as much as you can, try plain yogurt or fat-free sour cream in dips and mashed potatoes and casseroles. Choosing whole grains, fruits, vegetables, broth-based soups, salads, and other foods with lots of water and fiber add to the feeling of fullness of your guests.
- Prepare safe activities. Prepare activities that do not require physical exertion and that your older guests can tolerate.
Keep these tips in mind as you prepare for your Thanksgiving a more enjoyable yet safe celebration as everyone will wrap up their holiday still healthy and fit.
Leave a Reply